Saturday, October 11, 2008

My Week...



Well...

My week has been CRAZY!

I was asked by the blind department of USDB (Utah Schools for the Deaf and Blind) to take over teaching in the pre-school program.


All three teachers were fired at the close of the last school year, and they hired three new teachers. However, one was put on probation one week into the new school year!



I have been placed in this position as a "long- term substitute teacher" because Utah is in the middle of a hiring freeze. I have been guaranteed the position with the agreement that they will pay for my teaching certificate and blind/deaf endorsements.

Working with the deaf kids for almost ten years has been extremely rewarding and I have incredible relationships with my past students, that I love and adore. But BLIND?


My only experience is the limited I have with Corbin.


So, I started two weeks ago Thursday totally unprepared! I didn't even know what was in the boxes in the bookcase! But by this week I am completely organized, have tons of awesome toys, I have had my first Braille class, and even have lesson plans and a schedule. It helped to have my guys come and help move furniture around and clean.


I have spent the past week holding my breath, praying that I can be a positive difference in these very challenged kids lives, staying sane at the same time.

Chad says only the last part is in question... but questions if I was ever sane at any time. (ha ha)


Keep you posted...






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it!
Once Rich Mitchell read me a poem he liked called "keep a go'in"
When things get challenging you just keep a go'in!
And that's just what you'll have to do! You'll be great!

Anonymous said...

Heather!

Thanks for the encouragement.
Miss you we need to do a Market Street run! It has only been....
forever!

Loves to all!

Shawni said...

You have and will make such a difference in the lives of so many children. You are a very talented person!