Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Weekend



So I have concluded that I am getting OLD...






Yes, *sigh* old.






My extended family all has Thanksgiving weekend at Snowbird together. When this tradition began there were very few of us (11). Now, the numbers have grown with families getting larger, it is a whopping 27! Most being "little people" making it LOUD and really fun!






This year my very patient cousin Greg and cousin- in- law Mark decided that they were going to teach the kids to ski. Tae and Ash were among those being taught. I tried a few years ago to teach them, but failed miserably vowing to never do it again.






Greg and Mark took them up to Alta teaching them in a day! (THANK YOU!!!)






So, we all decided to go up together, even my brother Doug getting involved in the action.






Here we are with the hundreds that also were skiing... The snow was a little slushy, and they were making more all along the run which really limited your vision. Doug and Tae went together (Tae bringing his red U hair making it possible to see him all down the mountain) and Ash and I went together. I quiz Ash making sure that he can get off the lift himself, and make it down the long run. He says yes he can. So we go up the lift. He made it off the lift fine. And we wait for Doug and Tae. When they arrive at the top I find out that they both ski with both skis downward praying people move out of the way. EEK!






Ash does really well! He is slower and very precise UNTIL...






He hits a patch where they are making snow which pelts out "snow turds" at 50mph, making everyone crash right there! Ash is one of them getting both skis off in the process. So, here I am standing in front of the machine with "snow" blasting out at me, trying to help Ash put on his skis, getting SOAKED! Shortly after this turns to ice. So, I have frozen ice chunks in my hair, dripping down my back! I am cold and frozen! To boot all I loose Ash! In the blinding mayhem he takes off down the hill.



I wait for him for the next 45 minuted FREEZING my butt off!!!






I was done.






1 run! Did me in...



Windburn and frost bite are not a fun day of skiing. My body HURTING in places I had forgotten were there!






When we get to the bottom, Doug is there with blood dripping off his chin, it seems that he has biffed it with his face taking the impact.






But the best part is... I can't wait to go again!!!

No comments: